Drilling Fluid Additives for
Many Drilling Conditions
Materials and chemicals for horizontal directional drilling and
oil and gas drilling applications
Select the product below to view more information and its Product Data Sheet.
Alkalinity/pH Control Additives (Commercial Chemicals)
These products are used to control the degree of acidity or alkalinity of a fluid includes lime, caustic soda, soda ash, and bicarbonate of soda, as well as other common acids and bases.
More information about all of our Alkalinity/pH Control Additives here.
Defoamers are designed to reduce foaming action, particularly in brackish and saturated saltwater mud.
More information about all of our Defoamers here.
Filtrate Control Additives
Rheological and filtrate control agents are used to minimize losses to the formation, separate fluids to prevent commingling, and suspend and carry solids.
Flocculants are used to aggregate suspended particles.
More information about all Bri-Chem Flocculants here.
Lost Circulation Materials
The primary function of a lost circulation additive is to plug the zone of loss back in the formation away from the borehole face so that subsequent operations will not result in additional drilling fluids loss. We offer a number of organic materials and manufactured LCM which can be mixed to provide even more borehole options.
More information about our LCM products here.
Shale Control Inhibitors (Borehole Stabilizers)
These products are used to prevent excessive wellbore enlargement and heaving or caving while drilling water-sensitive shales by reducing shale hydration
- Glo-phalt Data Sheet — Glo-Phalt is one of the leading sulfonates for stabilizing formations and for fluid loss control. It seals small fractures and works well with LCM materials. Available in 50 lb. bags.
- Soltex Data Sheet — This additive is a sodium sulfonate made water soluble by a unique sulfonation process. It stabilizes shale formations, significantly increases lubricity, and lowers HTHP water loss. Available in 50 lb. bags.
- Hyperdrill 853 Data Sheet — A high molecular weight, medium charge, polyacrylamide that can be used alone or in conjunction with KCL to stabilize active shales, generate viscosity, reduce friction, or stabilize foam. It can also be used as a flow line flocculant for clear water. Available in 5 gallon plastic pails.
- Hyperdrill 247RD Data Sheet — A low molecular weight, anionic polyacrylamide used as a shale inhibitor or friction reducer/lubricant. Available in 55 lb. bags.
These chemicals modify the relationship between viscosity and percentage of solids in a drilling mud, and may be used, further, to reduce gel strength, increase a fluid’s pumpability. Principal purpose of a thinner is to function as a deflocculant to reduce attraction (flocculation) of clay particles which causes high viscosity and gel strengths.
More information about Desco Dispersants/Thinners here.
Bentonite, clays and polymers are used to increase viscosity for better hole cleaning and suspension of solids.
- Volclay Premium API Bentonite Data Sheet — This premium gel is a general purpose filler for use when mild thixotropic properties are desirable. Available in 50 or 100 lb. bags.
- Super Gel-X Data Sheet — An easy mixing, high viscosity 200 bbl yield freshwater drilling fluid. Certified to NSF/ANSI standard 60, Drinking Water Chemicals – Health Effects. Produced from the highest grade Wyoming sodium Bentonite. For all types of freshwater and rotary drilling. Available in 50 lb. bags.
- Drilzan D Data Sheet — An economical xanthan gum biopolymer utilizing unique patented dispersion chemistry. It significantly enhances product dispersion and solubility and reduces the formation of fisheyes. It performs effectively in freshwater- and saltwater-based muds, as well as in brine-based workover and completion fluids in a wide range of pH. Available in 25 lb. bags.
Barite and similar products possessing high specific gravity are used to control formation pressures, check formation caving and facilitate pulling dry pipe.
- Barite Data Sheet (Sacked or Bulk) — A natural barium sulfate designed to meet all the requirements of drilling grade barite. It is used to increase the weight of fluids and meeting most API requirements except specific gravity. Available in 100 lb. bags, Super Sacks and bulk tankers.
Lubricants are designed to reduce the coefficient of friction of drilling fluid which decreases torque and drag.
- Drilling Beads—Glass Data Sheet — Bri-Chem drilling beads are a coarse grade mechanical lubricant. Designed for all drilling mud applications, the solid glass ball bearings reduce friction and differential pressure. They are transparent, solid soda lime glass, free of pits and excess air bubbles and are chemically inert. Available in 50 lb. bags.
- Glo Carbo-Beads Data Sheet — Carbonaceous spheres ranging in size from 300 microns to 50 microns. They are highly effective lubricity agents recommended in applications which typically call for the use of glass or plastic beads. They are also effective in reducing fluid loss. Available in 50 lb. bags.
Call now for quick
response and delivery.
We accept all major credit cards.